Darin Erstad – was one of the most fierce and grittiest players to ever don an Angel uniform. Erstad was a key player on the 2002 World Championship Angels team as well as the 2004 and 2005 AL West Championship teams. He was an Angel through and through and his work ethic would be infectious on young players.
More from Halo Hangout
- New York Post columnist has LA Angels bringing veteran starter back to LA
- Dodgers make wild mistake signing failed LA Angels starter
- Why LA Angels’ Qualifying Offer to Raisel Iglesias could become historical
- Both Gold Glove finalists for LA Angels getting snubbed is a complete joke
- Marcus Stroman definitely appears to be interested in the LA Angels
Erstad has been the head coach of the University of Nebraska baseball team, his alma mater, since 2012 and won Big Ten Coach of the Year in 2017. Erstad was a finalist for the Dodgers managerial job before withdrawing his name from the mix in order to stay at Nebraska. Dave Roberts was eventually chosen to be the Dodgers skipper in late 2015.
Erstad was a very good hitter and even better defender playing in the outfield and also first base during his career. He could definitely work with either outfielders or infielders on their defense. Plus his attitude and love for the game would be infectious.
Would Erstad be receptive to a coaching spot on the Angels staff if they came calling? My guess is he would give it some thought and if he felt comfortable he would make the jump to the majors. Let’s hope!!!