Finding the right leader
Brad Ausmus was not the right answer for the LA Angels as a manager. He is a kind and decent man who is very intellectually gifted with an Ivy League education backing him up. However, managerial wise his skills are not as strong as his intellectual prowess.
With that being said Ausmus was dismissed by the Angels after only one year as a manager. Many people are equating the firing of Ausmus to the fact that Joe Maddon is now available, but I only think that played a small part in the Angels thinking. I believed they realized that while Ausmus was a good person and had some good leadership skills, he was not the man for the job long-term.
More from Halo Hangout
- New York Post columnist has LA Angels bringing veteran starter back to LA
- Dodgers make wild mistake signing failed LA Angels starter
- Why LA Angels’ Qualifying Offer to Raisel Iglesias could become historical
- Both Gold Glove finalists for LA Angels getting snubbed is a complete joke
- Marcus Stroman definitely appears to be interested in the LA Angels
It is not Joe Maddon or bust though. As much as I like many Angel fans would like to see Joe Maddon as the new Angels manager, there are other good choices that would be a major upgrade from Brad Ausmus. Joe Girardi, Buck Showalter, and John Farrell could be targets for the Angels as they all have plenty of big league managing experience and have had a lot of success with teams that were trying to get over the hump. This may be the biggest move the Angels make in the off-season is finding the right person to lead them.