Another disappointing year has been over for three weeks for the LA Angels and to add insult to injury Angel fans have to watch two of their team’s biggest rivals face-off in the 2017 World Series. What’s an Angel fan to do?
For the LA Angels fan base, watching the New York Yankees go down in flames in game six and seven of the ALCS was probably very delightful. I am speaking from experience here. I only have a few teams that I despise in the MLB and the Yankees and Red Sox are at the top of that list as well as the New York Mets and Texas Rangers.
More from Halo Hangout
- New York Post columnist has LA Angels bringing veteran starter back to LA
- Dodgers make wild mistake signing failed LA Angels starter
- Why LA Angels’ Qualifying Offer to Raisel Iglesias could become historical
- Both Gold Glove finalists for LA Angels getting snubbed is a complete joke
- Marcus Stroman definitely appears to be interested in the LA Angels
So when the playoffs start and our Angels are not involved I root hard for these four teams to be eliminated as soon as possible. It gives me great satisfaction to know that I will not have to hear New York or Boston fans gloat again about how awesome Derek Jeter or Johnny Damon are.
This has been replaced by Dustin Pedroia and Aaron Judge. When I saw the clinching out that knocked the Yankees out of the playoffs squeezed by the Astros George Springer my immediate thought was case closed (reference to the All Rise mentally of Yankee fans for Judge).
However now with Houston, an AL West rival who has been beating up on our Angels the past couple of seasons, making the World Series as well as the hated I-5 rivals the Los Angeles Dodgers being the two teams remaining, it poses an interesting dilemma for Angel fans. Who do you root for?
There are reasons to root for and against both teams if you are an Angel fan.
Why should Angel fans root for the Houston Astros?
- The Astros have never won a World Series in their franchise history which dates back to 1962 when they were known as the Colt 45’s which means their fans have suffered for 55 years.
- With all the damage to Houston due to Hurricane Harvey this would be a feel good story for the citizens of Houston and the surrounding areas.
- It is the lesser of two evils in the eyes of most Angel fans as the other choice is rooting for the LA Dodgers.
- Jose Altuve. Altuve is one of the most diminutive players in the game standing a only 5’6 but he packs quite a punch and is fun to watch.
5. Cameron Maybin, who only played for the Angels for part of this season, but became a fan favorite, is on the Astros’ roster.
Want your voice heard? Join the Halo Hangout team!
Why should Angel fans not root for the Astros?
1. The Astros are the Angels division rivals.
2. The Astros have reeked havoc on the Angels over the past couple of seasons.
3. Texas people talk funny. (tongue-in-cheek).
4. The Dallas Cowboys fans are cocky, and the Astros fans could become the same way if they start winning titles.
5. State loyalty: The Astros are from Texas and the Dodgers are from California.
So now on to the LA Dodgers.
Why Should you root for the LA Dodgers?
1. The Dodgers have been suffering for 29 years without a title so its about time they win one.
2. Their manager Dave Roberts is a good and decent man.
3. State Loyality: The Dodgers are in California so it would be nice to see a World Series
title back in Southern California.
4. Angel manager Mike Scioscia as well as coaches Ron Roenicke and Alfredo Griffin all were once Dodgers and they all were part of a World Championship team with them.
5. Tommy Lasorda and Vin Scully are both baseball icons and it would be nice for the Dodgers to win one more World Series for them before they die.
Why should Angel fans not root for the Dodgers?
1. They are the Dodgers!!!! Enough said.
2. Many Dodger fans are obnoxious and loud mouths and Angel fans will never hear the end of it if the Dodgers win.
3. Yasiel Puig is bad for baseball.
4. The Dodgers are the in-state rivals so your chance of knowing someone who is an Astro fan is much less likely so there will not be as much gloating.
5. They are the Dodgers!! Enough said.
So there you have it. Feel free to weigh in your opinion.
As for me Go Dodgers!!!!