The Los Angeles Angels’ first round pick made his pro debut, the no. 9 prospect had his best week of the season, and the no. 3 prospect continued to pitch well. All prospect rankings are according to MLB Pipeline.
More from Halo Hangout
- Why the LA Angels need to stay away from Yusei Kikuchi in free agency
- LA Angels free agents: Predicting which FAs stay and which leave Anaheim
- Why LA Angels now have absolutely no shot at bringing Zack Greinke back
- LA Angels: Is Carlos Correa on his way to Anaheim?
- LA Angels: This free agent should undoubtedly receive a Qualifying Offer
1. Taylor Ward, C, Class A Advanced Inland Empire
This week: .364/.462/.364
Ward played in just three games this week, going 4 for 11.
2. Jahmai Jones, OF, Rookie level Orem
This week: .233/.324/.367
Jones had two hits last Monday against Idaho Falls and hit his first home run of the season on Friday against Ogden.
3. Nate Smith, LHP, Triple-A Salt Lake
This week: 2 starts, 1-0, 12.1 IP, 13 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 5 BB, 11 K, 1.46 ERA
Season: 5-2, 3.92 ERA
Smith had a great week, holding Las Vegas to two earned runs on seven hits in six innings last Monday and shutting out Albuquerque for 6.1 innings on Saturday.
4. Victor Alcantara, RHP, Double-A Arkansas
This week: 2 starts, 0-2, 9 IP, 14 H, 9 R, 9 ER, 3 BB, 9 K, 9.00 ERA
Season: 2-5, 4.54 ERA
Alcantara struggled on Tuesday against Northwest Arkansas, allowing seven runs on 11 hits in four innings of work. He rebounded on Sunday against Springfield but was a tough-luck loser, as he allowed two runs on three hits in five innings while striking out seven.
5. Kaleb Cowart, INF, Triple-A Salt Lake
This week: .385/.407/.615
Cowart homered on Thursday against El Paso then followed it up by going 4 for 5 with a double on Thursday. He has hit a double in three straight games.
6. Joe Gatto, RHP, Class A Burlington
This week: 1 start, ND, 5 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 2 K, 1.80 ERA
Season: 3-8, 7.03 ERA
Gatto allowed one earned run on five hits in five innings of work on Friday against Peoria.
7. Jake Jewell, RHP, Class A Advanced Inland Empire
Season: 1-7, 6.51 ERA
Jewell did not pitch this week.
8. Chad Hinshaw, OF, Double-A Arkansas
Hinshaw is on the disabled list and has not played since June 7.
9. David Fletcher, INF, Class A Advanced Inland Empire
This week: .500/.529/.625
Fletcher had his best week of the season, going 8 for 16 with two doubles. He’s working on a four-game hitting streak.
10. Roberto Baldoquin, INF, Class A Advanced Inland Empire
This week: .133/.188/.133
Baldoquin went 2 for 3 with a walk on Saturday against Visalia.
Want your voice heard? Join the Halo Hangout team!
Other notable names and performances:
Matt Thaiss, INF, Rookie level Orem
This week: .316/.435/.737
Thaiss, the Angels’ first-round pick this year, started his career off with a bang, going 3 for 5 with two doubles and a home run in his first game on Tuesday. He homered again on Friday. He was a catcher at the University of Virginia, but it appears that he won’t be a catcher as a pro, as he’s played first base exclusively.
Tyler Carpenter, RHP, Double-A Arkansas
This week: 1 start, W, 5 IP, H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA
Season: 6-3, 2.28 ERA
Carpenter was stellar against Springfield on Friday, allowing just one hit and no runs over five innings of work.
Cal Towey, OF, Triple-A Salt Lake
This week: .333/.370/.500
Towey had three multi-hit games this week and homered on Thursday against El Paso.
The Angels farm system is looking up, come back next week for the next installment of Prospect Round-Up.