Angels News: Cleveland previously aware of Mickey Callaway incidents
By Alfonso Cerna
Angels pitching coach Mickey Callaway remains suspended as Major League Baseball continues investigating sexual harassment allegations made public on February 1.
A new update in the allegations was released by The Athletic (subscription required) on Tuesday, reporting the Indians organization was made aware of the Callaway incidents and did not act accordingly.
This contradicts the original statement of Indians president of baseball operations Chris Antonetti, who claimed to be unaware of the reports.
The newest report from The Athletic featured Cleveland employees reaching out and sharing their stories.
"“I laughed out loud when I saw the quote (in The Athletic’s original report) that said it was the worst-kept secret in baseball, because it was,” said one Indians employee. “It was the worst-kept secret in the organization.”"
A new update on the allegations against Mickey Callaway has been released, and it doesn’t look good for the Angels pitching coach or Cleveland.
The husband of a woman whom Callaway had an affair with from 2015 to 2017 contacted the Indians multiple times to report the behavior. The calls were so frequent, the low-level employees who would be the first to answer brought the matter to Antonetti, manager Terry Francona, and general manager Mike Chernoff. The affair included ‘unsolicited pornographic material,’ including photos and at least one video.
One of the wives of an Indians player told The Athletic, the significant others among Cleveland personnel knew Callaway kept other women on the side. While he’s denied the reporting of the harassment, Callaway has admitted being unfaithful to his wife on ‘multiple occasions.’
This is just a small sample size of the other comments from sources in The Athletic report, most of which portray Callaway as an individual who preys on women. According to a former Mets employee, many people within the organization referred to Callaway as ‘Dick Pic Mick.’
Angels manager Joe Maddon did not comment on the reports prior to the team’s win over the Reds on Tuesday.
"“I just can’t,” Maddon said. “There’s nothing for me to comment, add or subtract, whatever. We’ll just let this play itself out. We’ll find out where it lands, and then we’ll take it from there, but for right now, I can’t say anything."
This whole situation seems to be getting worse before it gets better for both Callaway and Cleveland. If there is further evidence proving members of the Indians organization were made aware of the incidents and did nothing, Major League Baseball will likely enforce some form of consequences.
Want your voice heard? Join the Halo Hangout team!
The Angels currently have no timetable for the completion of the Callaway investigation. Interim pitching coach Matt Wise has been away after testing positive for COVID-19, but he has remained engaged with everyday operations through Zoom and could rejoin the team sometime this week.