The Los Angeles Angels saw something from Albert Pujols they had never seen since they signed him in 2012: 40 Home Runs. The only problem was they saw something no one had ever seen from him a .244 batting average.
Los Angeles Angels star Albert Pujols used to be really good. He is probably the best player that I have ever seen from start to finish of their career.
The things this guy has done are nothing short of incredible. Pujols is easily a first ballot hall of famer and will go down as one of the best right-handed hitters of all time.
More from Halo Hangout
- Marcus Stroman definitely appears to be interested in the LA Angels
- LA Angels: 3 offseason moves the Halos desperately need to make
- LA Angels: AL West rival Astros proving that they’re not giving up yet
- 6 important offseason award dates and times for LA Angels fans
- This LA Angels move proves the Halos are trying to spend big on pitching
Now with all of that said, he isn’t really good anymore. He’s better than a lot of players but he isn’t what he used to be. He is 36 years old, making $26 million dollars and all of that is for what he did as a St. Louis Cardinal. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a nice guy and does some great things in the community but he his the most overpaid player in baseball.
I am very aware that this is going to upset a lot of you but it needs to be said. I know he’s better than I ever was, will be, dream of being, etc. I am also very aware that he has 11 home runs and 36 RBI. However, I am also aware he is hitting a mere .230, which is a big improvement from the sub .200 he was hitting most of the season.
What you need to be aware of is that Pujols will be remembered for what he did as a Cardninal because he hit for power AND average. He is only a power hitter now. Is that a good thing? Not when you’re paying someone like Pujols gets paid. Mark Trumbo was only a power hitter too and the Angels traded him. Trumbo is only making just over $9 million this year. I know math is hard so I’ll do it for you. Pujols is making about 17 million more than Trumbo this season and Trumbo is batting .289, leads the league with 15 home runs and has 37 RBI.
More from Albert Pujols
- What can LA Angels do with freed up money from Albert Pujols contract?
- Shohei Ohtani, Jared Walsh prove releasing Albert Pujols was right move
- Albert Pujols: Has slugger revived his career after leaving the LA Angels?
- LA Angels: Things without Albert Pujols
- Albert Pujols: Reaction to Dodgers signing former Angel
What I am saying though is that Albert Pujols is not the player he used to be. Hitting home runs is cool and its exciting but there is a lot more to baseball than that. He came to Anaheim with a career .318 batting average. In this is fifth year with the Angels he has dropped his career average to .310, which is a lot in just 5 years.
Pujols would be better served to the Angels if he retired early and gave the rest of his remaining salary to the kid in centerfield. If you don’t know who that is then, I’m not even sure why you’re reading this.